Mambo Jambo!
Scott and I have safely arrived to the Hai district of Kilmanjaro, Tanzania. Our village is very small with all dirt paths and a large market two days a week. We have very modest accommodations at our Cross Cultural Solutions site – a bunk bed with mosquito nets, an open bathroom with a drain and some hot water, and a small closet for our clothes. There are about 15 other volunteers on site with us, most from the US with many in our recently graduate college, and about six others in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. We receive three meals a day with food from the local market prepared by local chefs, so far the food has been great.
The village is great. Our group is also the only michanze – white people in the village -- so our language, clothing, cameras are quite the hit. The people are very kind and always smiling. Trash is burnt on the street and it is not uncommon to see 30 people on a mini-bus.
Although I thought I would be working with women’s rights and Scott expected to be working with a micro-finance organization, we discovered once we got overseas that I would be working with at an orphanage and Scott would be working as a teacher in a primary school. Although we were expecting different placements, it seems that is where the immediate need is in our village so we are keeping a very open mind.
Yesterday was our orientation so we finished up all of our immigration and working permit paper work, took a tour of our village, and took an intro course on Swahili. Our program leaders seem great and that they are going to take great care of us.
Scott has become a very big hit with all of the local boys at a nearby soccer field. They have been playing almost daily and he returns covered with dust and a huge smile. The field is very rocky so it adds a whole new level of difficulty to the game. The goals are also two sticks with a string across the top.
PS I would like to report (thank God) that I do not have a paisley and flower scar on my right hand.
Hey Guys! I know it can be a bit frustrating when things dont go as planned, but hang in there! I know you all will make a great impact in whatever you're doing. P.S. Audrey you're gonna love this! I woke up this morning to find that another mosquito had attacked my face. My forehead looks as if it grew a new brain. Something about me, Asia, and mosquitoes do not mix! I thought you of all people could appreciate this :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteEverything sounds so fascinating, the Nile cruise! I'm sure the work will be doing will have a huge impact too, even though it's not exactly what you were planning to work on.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to wish you an early birthday! And I'm glad your foray into henna wasn't permanent!
Best of luck to you both