On another exciting note, I celebrated my big 2-4 in Tanzania last Friday where Scott requested with the cooks to make my favorite mac and cheese (not anything like the famous Burrell recipe though). Then they had a great cake for me too. I also attempted to milk a goat on Friday which was neat, but I didn't do too well, the goat started groaning so I backed off. We also went to a African restaurant last weekend with African dancing. They had us all on the floor jumping around doing crazy moves -- it was crazy and so fun. We also hiked a third of Mt. Kilimanjaro on Saturday... I am still sore three days later. We did as much as we could for one day and it was plentyyyy for me. It was amazing though, great views, neat craters, crazy mad-bulls, and beautiful waterfalls in the rainforest. On Sunday, we did a walking safari through Arusha National Park. We were 30 yards from dozens of giraffes, zebras, babboons, and buffaloes. It was crazzzzyy! Then we spent the rest of the day in a safari vehicle tracking down other animals and enjoying the views.Hello Hello!!
I am currently on a dala-dala (mini bus) on my way to the Internet Café in Moshi. The nearest internet access is 45 minutes away, so we apologize for not keeping you all better updated on our adventures. We have some unbelievable pictures of the children we work with and the country but the connection is SO slow, it would take over an hour to upload one picture.
Although I came to Tanzania thinking I was working with a women’s rights organization, then I was told I would be working with an HIV and AIDS club, and the day before my work started I was told there was extreme need at a local orphanage. I had mixed emotions about working at an orphanage but I know this is exactly where God wanted me to experience the people and children of Tanzania. I am at the Kichijo Orphanage in Boma – there are over 120 kids run by one amazing woman named Mama Lucy. The first day I and the five others that I am volunteering with showed up and Mama Lucy kissed all of our cheeks and told us that God told her that angels were coming to help her. She and the other volunteers (locals that help out) are so appreciative and welcoming. After being at the orphanage for less than two minutes I found myself tearing up at the children in such dire need of love. I soon realized I had to turn off my emotions and just do my job for the next three weeks. I have worked with abused and homeless children before, but none of them have ever been at the condition of these kids. They do not have diapers for them and if they are not potty trained they just have to wear their soiled clothes for the rest of the day. They get their clothes changed every two days. They are covered in dirt, snot, and their own feces. Their toys are the garbage that they find in their village – pieces of broken sunglasses, an old thong of a rubber flip-flop, a shard of a mirror, etc. I constantly find them chewing on pieces of plastic, rubber, glass, or worse an old razor blade. While I and the other volunteers are working the kids receive a cup of tea and a small cup of porridge. In the evenings we have been told that they do not receive much more, but we have not been there during dinner time. The kids sleep three or more to a twin bed and are raised by the older orphans. There are no kitchens either, food is made on a make-shift stove by the preteen girls – a large pot raised by three rocks with logs underneath. The kids are clearly very hungry, they wipe every ounce of porridge or tea with their finger and do not dare let a drop fall onto the ground.
These kids are a family to each other. The older kids take care and discipline the younger ones, and the ten year olds take care of the toddlers. The kids share food to those who are hungriest. It is heart wrenching to watch. We have been told that most children have lost their parents to HIV/AIDS, malaria, drugs, or by just being unwanted.
I work with a group of about thirty kids under five years old. I help serve them ‘chai’ around nine o’clock in the morning, then I take them to play organized games for about an hour (ring around the rosie, soccer, color games, sing English songs, etc.) then I either assist an English teacher or I have been working on the farm. Working on the farm has been an amazing experience. The day I arrived they showed us this rocky dry small piece of land that they were so proud of. Since then we have plotted the land, dug irrigation areas, plowed the dirt, and today we fertilized with manure from their cows (two American volunteers just purchased them two cows this summer!) I am so excited to be able to work on the farm because I know I am truly leaving something sustainable that will feed these children all throughout the upcoming year.
I am off to go search for a 'safe' milkshake on the street of Moshi. I am sure Scott will probably order at least three. Love you all and thanks for the many supportive and encouraging emails and texts.
No comments:
Post a Comment